Arvind Kejriwal informed that a special task force was being created to protect children from the third wave
Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday stated that his government was preparing to combat the possible third wave of novel Coronavirus.
Arvind Kejriwal said that some important decisions have been taken in advance during a meeting with the officials in the administration.
“If the third wave of Corona comes, then we have to be prepared in advance to fight it. In today’s meeting with the officials, some important decisions were taken,” he said.
Giving details about the decisions, he informed that a special task force was being created to protect children from the third wave while adequate beds, Oxygen and better management of essential medicines was also deliberated upon.
The Delhi government had earlier on May 18 announced to give free ration to the poor, even without ration card. “The poor have suffered from all sides due to Corona and lockdown. To give relief to those who do not have ration card, they will also be given free ration,” Arvind Kejriwal had said.
Over the last four weeks, the Capital has been ravaged by a terrible wave of infections — the city’s fourth and the second country-wide since the pandemic began – with health-care resources overwhelmed and crucial medical supplies like oxygen running out.
Experts have cautioned that a new wave of illnesses cannot be ruled out, citing the potential of additional transmissible Sars-Cov-2 mutations, low vaccine coverage, and the easing of the lockdown, which was imposed to flatten the pandemic’s curve.
“If the third wave does happen, it will affect the children because others would have either had the infection or received a vaccine. So far, there are no vaccines for children in India. This is the reason we need to start preparing for management of COVID-19 in children,” Dr. Lalit Kant, former head of the Department of Epidemiology at the Indian Council of Medical Research, maintains.