Gunfight in south Kashmir leaves two militants dead

Anti-militancy operations intensified: IGP Vijay Kumar

Just a day after the killing of Al-Badr outfit chief Ganie Khwaja, a joint team of government forces killed two militants in southern Kashmir’s Anantnag district on Thursday.

The gunfight had started on Wednesday late evening when government forces including the local police, CRPF personnel and soldiers from 3 Rashtriya Rifles, after receiving inputs, zeroed in on a suspected house at Kandipora village of Bijbehara town.

After the initial exchange of gunfire, the operation had to be suspended for the night due to darkness. However, flash lights had been installed to monitor any movement from the trapped militants.

Officials from the security grid said that with the resumption of the operation on Thursday morning, there was an exchange of fire that led to the killing of two militants.

An AK-47 rifle and a pistol was recovered from their possession, as per the sources.

Inspector General of Police for Kashmir range, Vijay Kumar also confirmed the killing of two militants, adding that anti-militancy operations have been intensified.

Kumar said militancy is not on the rise but operations against militants are being intensified.

Although the officials desisted from recognizing the militants, unconfirmed sources identified the slain militants as Adil Ahmad Bhat from Sithpora Bijbehara and Zahid Ahmad Rather from Sirhama Anantnag. Sources said that the militants belong to Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) outfit.

Meanwhile, mobile Internet services have been suspended in the area as a precautionary measure, to avoid any law and order problems.

It is worthwhile to report that this was the second gunfight of the current month. Last day, Al-Badr chief Ganie Khwaja was gunned down in the Tujjar area of Baramulla district’s Sopore town.


This content is part of an exclusive news series. This is not for reproduction.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button