Strict curfew, communication shutdown in Kashmir after Syed Ali Shah Geelani’s death

Early in the morning, witnesses said, a huge deployment of police and paramilitary personnel was made on Srinagar highways, and all routes leading to Hyderpora were closed.

Srinagar, Kashmir, 2 Sept 2021 —

Syed Ali Shah Geelani, a key separatist leader who died on Wednesday night at his Srinagar house, was put to rest in the middle of the night as Kashmir rose to a strict curfew and communication blockade on Thursday.

Soon after the word of SAS Geelani’s death circulated around Srinagar, top police officers and personnel of the CRPF hurried to Hyderpora, sealing his home and ordering the deployment of a large number of security men to avert a law-and-order situation.

Following the quiet burial of the senior separatist leader SAS Geelani, people woke up and found a strict curfew in effect.

According to witnesses, a large deployment of police and paramilitary forces was made on Srinagar roadways early in the morning, and all routes leading to Hyderpora were barricaded, while the city’s Downtown area was placed under severe restrictions.

Internet, voice-calling also barred in Kashmir

Also, police cut down all mobile and internet communications on Thursday morning after news spread about Geelani’s death. On its network, BSNL was the sole telecommunications operator that permitted voice calls.

Meanwhile, IGP Kashmir told the media that a decision on restoring mobile phone services in Kashmir will be made at a review meeting, planned for Friday evening.

Situation peaceful, says J-K Police

The IGP Vijay Kumar in Kashmir stated that the atmosphere in the valley was peaceful today, with no untoward incidents observed.

IGP Kashmir commended and praised the public’s cooperation in preserving a calm situation throughout the valley, which, as per him, thwarted the plans of hostile forces hell-bent on disrupting the valley’s normally tranquil atmosphere.

Restrictions to continue in Kashmir on Friday

J-K Police told media that strict curfew will stay in place in Srinagar and other areas of Kashmir on Friday.

According to a local news agency, restrictions in Srinagar and other areas of Kashmir would remain in place on Friday as a “precautionary measure.”

An unnamed police official was quoted as saying that because it is Friday tomorrow, there is fear that certain vested interests may destabilize the tranquil atmosphere. As a result, reports said, the prohibitions will continue tomorrow, on 3rd of September 2021.

Back to top button