Netizens have slammed the BJP for renaming Motera’s Sardar Patel Cricket Stadium as the Narendra Modi Stadium on Wednesday.
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium today in Ahmedabad. Speaking at the foundation stone laying ceremony of the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Sports Enclave, President Kovind said,” It is a matter of pride that the 1.32 Lakh seater Narendra Modi Cricket Stadium in Motera has become the world’s largest cricket stadium.” He also noted the various sporting activities and the world-class facilities of the Narendra Modi Stadium.
As per reports, after the demolition of the old stadium in 2015, the Gujarat Cricket Association issued tender requests for the reconstruction of the now Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad. The final bidders were the Shapoorji Pallonji Group, Nagarjuna Construction Company, and Larsen & Toubro. Larsen & Toubro won the bid and was finalized as principal contractor for building and designing the stadium.
Features Of The Stadium:
Redeveloped at a cost of whopping ₹800 crores, the Narendra Modi Stadium has features, as below:
- Spread over 63 acres of land, it has a seating capacity of 1,32,000 spectators; Area equivalent to 32 Olympic soccer fields put together
- 4 dressing rooms for players along with two gymnasiums in the dressing area
- First of its kind shadowless light by fixing LED light along the perimeter of the stadium roof
- Indoor practice pitches, 2 separate pitch grounds with a small pavilion area and a Cricket academy for training promising cricketers
- Sports Complex for multiple sports like Football, Hockey, Kabaddi, Boxing, Lawn Tennis, Running Track, etc
- 76 Corporate Boxes; 25 seat capacity; Largest in the world
- A state-of-the-art sub-soil drainage system that enables water to be drained off within 30 minutes, thereby avoiding matches due to rains
- A Club-house with 50 deluxe rooms and 5 suite rooms, Olympic size swimming pool, 3D projector area, party area and a TV room
- 3 entry points to the stadium with a metro line at one entry point.
Netizens Took Jibes At The Move
Netizens have slammed the BJP for renaming Motera’s Sardar Patel Cricket Stadium as the Narendra Modi Stadium on Wednesday. Some have been saying that the priorities of the government are totally messed up. Opposition party leaders also took to Twitter to express their views on the same.
Rahul Gandhi also took a jibe at the renaming of the Narendra Modi Stadium. He wrote, “Beautiful how the truth reveals itself. Narendra Modi stadium – Adani end – Reliance end With Jay Shah presiding. #HumDoHumareDo” .
In a stinging attack against the Narendra Modi Government a few days ago, Rahul Gandhi had twisted the old slogan ‘Humara Do, Humare Do‘. He said that the Indian government wants to destroy mandi systems and benefit a couple of corporate allies. Without naming anyone, Rahul Gandhi said, “The nation is being run by four people ‘hum do hamare do’.”
Ravi Shankar Prasad Infuriated At Questions About The Stadium
In a recent press conference conducted at the PIB Media Centre, the Law & Justice, Communications, Electronics & Information Technology Minister of India, Ravi Shankar Prasad was asked to comment on the renaming of the stadium. A press member asked, ” The opposition feels that this is a disgrace to Sardar Patel’s name. How do you see this?”
To which Ravi Shankar Prasad replied, “I want to ask Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi that while they have objection over renaming of Motera Stadium to Narendra Modi Stadium, Have they ever praised the world’s tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in Kevadia? Have they even visited it? “