JKLF Separatist Leader Yasin Malik Booked Under Public Safety Act; Shifted To Jammu Jail

The CBI has filed a plea in the Jammu and Kashmir High Court seeking transfer of cases against Yasin Malik. These cases include the killing of five Air Force personnel in Srinagar and kidnapping of Mufti Mohammad Sayeed’s daughter.

Kashmir, Thursday, March 07, 2019 —

Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Yasin Malik has been booked under the Public Safety Act and shifted to Jammu jail.

The separatist leader was arrested by police in a late night raid on February 22 from his Maisuma residence and was taken to the Kothibagh Police Station. He has now been shifted to Kot Balwal jail.

The CBI has also filed a plea in the Jammu and Kashmir High Court seeking transfer of cases against Malik from Srinagar to Jammu.

The high court chief justice Gita Mittal has now sought objections from Yasin Malik on the plea. Next date of hearing is March 11.

CBI’s plea for transfer of cases to Jammu is being seen as a bid by the Modi government to expedite the cases against Yasin Malik that have been pending for more than 29 years.

Details Of The Charges

Yasin Malik is the main accused in the kidnapping of Dr Rubiya Sayeed, daughter of former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mufti Mohd Sayeed, and killing of five Air Force personnel in Srinagar in 1990.

Malik is also accused of killing Justice Neelkanth Ganju, the judge who had given death sentence to JKLF terrorist Maqbool Bhat and former director, Doordarshan Kendra in Srinagar, Lassa Kaul.

Aftermath Of 30 Years Of Freedom To Yasin Malik

Yasin Malik has admitted doing many of the alleged criminal activities in the 80s in Kashmir on record in interviews. However, he was freely operating from his Maisuma residence in Kashmir since the past 30 years and has a crowd following in whole of Kashmir.

His Maisuma residence was raided by NIA recently and following his arrest and shifting to Kot Bhalwal jail, many organisations have called a shutdown in Kashmir on Friday.

Detention and Strictness Since The Pulwama Attack

In the wake of the Pulwama terror attack that killed 40 CRPF jawans on February 14, the government had launched a massive crackdown on separatists. Several separatist leaders including Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front chief Yasin Malik were detained.

On February 17, the government had announced that the security of six separatist leaders in Jammu and Kashmir was withdrawn. Officials said no security forces or cover would be provided, under any pretext, to them or any other separatists.

On February 15, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had said the government was planning to review the security of the people working at the behest of Pakistan and its intelligence agency ISI in an apparent reference to separatist leaders.

“There are elements and forces who take money from Pakistan and the ISI. I have asked the officials concerned to review their security,” Singh told reporters at the end of his day-long visit to Kashmir.

Later on February 26, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) officers had also raided the Srinagar residence of JKLF chairman Yasin Malik.

Back to top button